POINT-OF-CARE SPECIALIST CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
The POC Specialist Certificate Program is an online distance learning program that documents the knowledge and skills necessary for successful practice as a POC specialist and recognizes those individuals who demonstrate mastery of the content. The program is composed of eight courses which can be completed online in 1- 2 hours each. Each course contains a lecture, required reading, and self assessment and may include case studies, practical exercises, and glossary and resource materials. There are opportunities for interaction with faculty and other participants using the program’s dedicated listserv. You can earn 13 continuing education units for completing the entire program.
To receive the POC specialist certificate, you must successfully complete all eight courses and pass a comprehensive multiple-choice examination by the program end date. After completing the coursework, you may apply for the online comprehensive examination by e-mailing the course administrator.
POC Specialist certificates are awarded monthly. Graduates are recognized annually at the AACC Annual Meeting and on a register located on the CPOCT Division web site.
The following individuals developed the Point-of-Care Specialist Certificate Program and contributed to content in this course:
- Marcy Anderson, MS, MT (ASCP)
Co-Chair, Medical Automation Systems, Charlottesville, VA
- Barbara Goldsmith, PhD, FACB
Co-Chair, St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, Boston, MA
- Sheila Coffman, MT(ASCP)
QAS Inc, San Antonio, TX
- Christine Cursio, BS
Toronto Medical Labs, Toronto, Canada
- Corinne Fantz, PhD, DABCC, FACB
Emory Crawford Long Hospital, Atlanta, GA
- Pam Green, MBA(HCM) MT(ASCP)
Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ
- Kerstin Halverson, MS, BA
Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Angie Hildebrand, MT(ASCP)
Oregon Medical Labs, Portland, OR
- Sharon Norman, MBA, MT(ASCP)
Seattle VA Puget Sound, Seattle, WA
- Elizabeth Porter, BS, MT (ASCP)
Quest Diagnostics, Cincinnati, OH
- Kelly Warnberg, BS, ASCP, NCA
Tricore Reference Labs, Albuquerque, NM
- LouAnn Wyer, MS, MT, ASCP
Sentara Laboratory Services, Norfolk, VA
- Marcia Zucker, PhD
Response Biomedical, Vancouver, BC
Available for sale: January 1, 2012
Sold Until: December 31, 2012
Program Access Available: January 1, 2012-July 15, 2013
- Eight online courses and a comprehensive multiple–choice examination
- Fee: $250.00 AACC Member/$550 Non-member
- Course Number: 6821
- If you purchase the program over the telephone, the online access information will be emailed within 1 week of enrollment. If you have not received your access information, please contact AACC Customer Service.
- If you purchase the program online, the login information will be on your confirmation page.
- If you purchase the program via mail or fax, please allow 2 weeks for processing.
- Participants can begin their course work on January 1, 2012, but it is not available prior to that date.
Category 1 ACCENT® credit is offered for each course. AACC is an approved provider of continuing education for clinical laboratory scientists in the states of California, Florida, Louisiana, Montana, Nevada, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and West Virginia.
SPONSORS AND SUPPORTERS
This program is sponsored by the AACC Critical and Point-of-Care Testing Division and is supported by Abbott Point of Care.